At Hill Street Dental our hygienist, Clare, will scale and clean your teeth every 6–12 months. She will also take digital radiographs (X-rays) of your teeth every one to four years so the dentist can check your teeth thoroughly and make sure there is no decay between your teeth. (And when Clare goes away on maternity leave, Libby will look after you.)
Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter what your age. By practising good oral hygiene at home you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come. Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent the build-up of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue; this will remove any extra plaque causing food particles, and help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats and acidic foods like orange juice and fizzy drinks. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Drink lots of fluoridated tap water.